Current Students

Information for current students regarding financial aid.

Financial Aid Forms

Financial Aid for Current Students

The purpose of financial aid at Humphreys University (HU) is to assist students who, because of financial constraints, might not otherwise have the resources to pursue a college education in their chosen fields. A student’s financial need is determined by the difference between the total cost of attending Humphreys University and the contribution the student and/or his or her family is expected to make toward this cost. The total cost of attending Humphreys University includes tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, personal expenses, and transportation.

In order to determine if a student qualifies for financial aid, his or her income and asset information must be processed according to a Department of Education needs analysis calculation. Financial aid is available to U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens.

Humphreys University helps to provide financial aid assistance for students who are recent graduates of high school, transfers from another post-secondary institution, and re-entry students.

Humphreys University maintains a varied financial assistance program in order to meet the needs of all students. HU’s institutional eligibility to administer Title IV funds (financial aid) extends to all of the programs listed in the Catalog that lead to a degree or certificate. This includes the Drivon School of Law.

Applying for Financial Aid

For most types of Financial Aid, the first place to start is by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You do not need to wait until you have applied for admission and/or been admitted to file the FAFSA. Students who complete the FAFSA will be considered for the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Cal Grants, (state grant), Federal Direct Stafford Loan, as well as the Federal Work Study Program. The FAFSA application can be filed with the Department of Education beginning on the October 1st preceding the academic year requesting financial aid for. The 2017/18 FAFSA will be available October 2016 for the 2017/18 award year. The Federal School Code to report on the FAFSA for Humphreys University is 001212. The following methods are available:

  • Apply online at (Recommended) or
  • Complete a PDF FAFSA (Note: PDF FAFSAs must be mailed for processing) or
  • Request a paper FAFSA by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243

Detailed information about application procedures, deadlines, and eligibility may be obtained from the Financial Aid Office.

1. If you are a US Citizen or Permanent Resident, complete the FAFSA.

How to Submit the FAFSA Go to to fill out the FAFSA and apply for financial aid. When to Apply The Priority Filing Period is October 1 to March 2 You should apply for financial aid as soon as possible each year that you plan to attend college. If you apply after the priority deadline (March 2), you will be considered for any remaining funds as of the date your application is received. Tips for Filling Out Your FAFSA Humphreys University School Code – 001212 Enter the code 001212 under the “School Selection” tab of the FAFSA to make sure your application is sent to HU. Before starting your FAFSA, get your and/or your parents’ personal information and tax information The FAFSA will ask you to enter both personal information and information on income and assets, so make sure you have this information ready. If you and/our your parents haven’t filed their taxes yet, still complete your FAFSA and use last year’s information to estimate. Once your filing is done, you can go back and update your information on your FAFSA. FAFSA Assistance FAFSA assistance from the Financial Aid office is available Monday and Thursday from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm and Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

2. If you are NOT a US citizen or a permanent resident, complete the Dream Act Application.

How to Complete the Dream Act If you are not a US Citizen or permanent resident but meet AB 540 Criteria, you can still apply for and receive non-state funded scholarships to help pay for college. Submit Your Application Go to to complete the Dream Application and apply for financial aid. When to Apply Priority Filing Period: January 1 to March 2 You should apply for financial aid as soon as possible each year that you plan to attend college. If you apply after the priority deadline (March 2), you will be considered for any remaining funds as of the date your application is received. Humphreys University School Code – 001212 Enter the code 001212 under the “School Selection” tab of the FAFSA to make sure your application is sent to HU.

3. Apply for Scholarships

Looking for scholarships in addition to applying for financial aid? Visit Federal Student Aid for information regarding scholarships here.

Awarding Financial Aid: Current Students

Before financial aid is awarded, the Financial Aid Office must complete the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) review for each enrolled student after each quarter’s grades have been posted. For more information about this review, please see the information under Satisfactory Academic Progress. Once the SAP review is complete, financial aid eligibility will be determined for all students who have a current, complete FAFSA on file, are registered for the upcoming quarter, and have completed Federal Verification, if selected and any and all conflicting information, and eligibility issues (C codes) cleared prior to generating an estimated award offer, that summarizes the aid for academic year. The award offer will be mailed to the permanent address on record. Note – New students, transfer and current students are awarded provisionally until their records are considered in final status. If notified, students must respond by submitting all required verification and eligibility documentation needed to complete verification, complete or update invalid FAFSA data, clear ‘C’ codes as identified by the Department of Education, and/or address and satisfy conflicting information necessary to finalize student records. Important: Federal Financial Aid is subject to adjustment, recalculation, proration, cancellation, and immediate repayment even if it has already disbursed for the following reasons:

  • Errors found or made during the application, verification, awarding, auditing, or processing of your application,
  • Changes you make to FAFSA at any time that result in the verification of your application data,
  • Conflicting information related to the determination of your financial aid eligibility,
  • Failure to submit any requested documentation after federal aid has been offered or disbursed,
  • The addition or adjustment of scholarships, waivers, outside financial assistance, and living allowances, etc. at any time during the award year,
  • Changes in enrollment from full-time to part-time,
  • Your academic progress including low GPA, excessive credits, dropping, failing, or repeating classes,
  • Complete withdrawals,
  • Changes in, tuition costs, due to complete withdrawals, schedule changes, etc.,
  • Changes in your admission status, grade level,
  • Changes made to your financial aid amounts at other schools from which you received financial aid in the past,
  • Notifications from the United States Department of Education about Federal Pell and student loan limits, default, overpayment, change or loss of eligibility etc.,
  • Changes in federal and state laws, regulations, or funding appropriations.

Students are notified in writing by mail if immediate repayment of any financial aid is required that was adjusted for the reasons above.

Dropping Some, But Not All Classes

Dropping or withdrawing from some courses but remaining enrolled in other courses has different consequences, from a financial aid perspective, than dropping or withdrawing from all courses. In general, a who student drops some courses, but remains enrolled at least a half-time, will have financial aid awards revised proportionally based on the new enrollment status if the courses are dropped within the financial aid census period. Tuition charges do not dictate financial aid awards. If the student drops below half-time enrollment before federal or state aid has been transmitted to the student’s account, most financial aid will be cancelled. A student who drops some courses after federal and/or state financial aid has been transmitted to his or her student account, but who remains enrolled in at least one course, will have financial aid re-calculated proportionally to the reduction of units, if the courses are dropped within the financial aid census period. Any remaining credit balance will be refunded to the William D. Ford Direct Loan program. Reduction of aid will always be required for students whose enrollment status changes due to classes not attended. Courses dropped within the add/drop period, but after the financial aid census period, will not affect financial aid for the quarter in progress. The student is responsible for all unpaid charges caused by financial re-calculations, and will not be allowed to register for subsequent quarters or receive financial aid until all fees are satisfied. Additionally, in accordance with federal and state regulations, the Financial Aid Office must also monitor satisfactory progress on a term by term basis. Dropping from some or all courses may cause unsatisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes. All enrolled units by Friday of the second week of classes will be counted as units attempted for the determination of satisfactory academic progress. Units dropped after the quarter’s add/drop period will be counted as unsuccessful attempts. Students not meeting satisfactory academic progress may lose financial aid eligibility for future quarters. Reinstatement of financial aid may be considered by filing a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal, or by completing the coursework necessary to resolve academic deficiencies at the student’s own expense.

Dropping All Classes: Complete Withdrawals

Circumstances may necessitate a complete withdrawal from Humphreys University for the quarter in which the student already registered. The outcome of a complete withdrawal depends on when the withdrawal is initiated and the type of financial aid received. Federal regulations require financial aid to be awarded under the assumption that a student will attend the institution for the entire period in which federal assistance was disbursed. However, in all cases, financial aid must be re-calculated. A complete withdrawal may affect satisfactory academic progress, and if the return of the funds creates a balance due on the student account, the student will be responsible to pay the balance on their account. Students with an outstanding balance will not be allowed to register for future classes or receive financial aid. The withdrawal will also cause cancellation of subsequent quarter(s) financial aid. Before withdrawing or ceasing attendance, the student should be aware of the proper procedure for withdrawing from classes and the consequences of either withdrawing or stopping attendance. Official withdrawal is always the responsibility of the student and questions or concerns regarding withdrawal should be addressed to their Academic Advisor, Financial Aid Department, and Registrar’s Office.

  • Student fails to begin attendance: If a student receives financial aid, but never begins attending classes, the Financial Aid Department must return all disbursed funds to the respective federal and state aid programs.
  • Complete Withdrawal: Official withdrawal from Humphreys University by the student. The current withdrawal policy can be found in current General College Catalog under ‘Withdrawal from Courses’.
  • No Passing Grades: Federal financial aid regulations require that any student who began attendance but failed to earn a passing grade in at least one course in the quarter who did not officially withdraw shall be considered an unofficial withdrawn, and will not be eligible for a tuition refund.

Within 30 days of the final date of final exams of each quarter, Humphreys University’s Financial Aid Department will receive notification of students who have no passing grades, and will deem those students to have unofficially withdrawn, with a withdrawal date at the midpoint of the quarter. Students are identified based on having received all F grades. Based on those grades, the quarter’s Federal Title IV financial aid will be recalculated to determine what portion of that aid was “earned” by the student. The Return of Title IV calculation will be performed (after the quarter has ended and grades are available) for students determined to have unofficially withdrawn, using the midpoint of the quarter as the withdrawal date, or the last date of attendance at an academically related activity. Based on these calculations, the school will be required to return any “unearned” federal assistance within 45 days after determining the student earned no passing grade, resulting in a charge to the student account. Unless the student completes 60% of the term in which federal aid was disbursed, the student will be required to return all or part of the financial aid disbursed in the term. This applies to students who officially (including medical), or unofficially withdraw. In accordance to the Higher Education Amendments of 1998, which established the Return to Title IV Funds Policy, Humphreys University is required to re-calculate earned and unearned portions of Title IV funds in the event that the student:

  1. Completely withdraws, or
  2. Stops attending before completing the quarter.

The Return to Title IV calculation is a federal formula used to determine the portion of Federal grants and loans a student is entitled to receive by comparing the total number of days in the given quarter to the number of days completed before the student withdrew, up to the end of the 60% point of the quarter. Return of Title IV funds is no longer required after that point. However, if a student withdraws prior to the 60% point, the student may owe part of his/her financial aid if the Return to Title IV calculation determines any unearned aid. The unearned repayment calculation is performed utilizing the federal government’s repayment worksheet: “Treatment of Title IV Funds When a Student Withdraws from a Credit-Hour Program” found here. For example: If a student completes 30% of the quarter, they have earned 30% of the aid originally received/scheduled to receive. This means that 70% of the aid received/scheduled to receive is considered to be unearned and must be returned to the appropriate grant and/or loan programs. If a student does not receive all of the aid earned, the student may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. Humphreys University may automatically apply all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement to outstanding charges for tuition and fees. If a student withdraws from Humphreys University after 60% of completing the quarter, he or she has earned all (100%) aid received. However, a complete withdrawal may negatively impact Satisfactory Academic Progress. IMPORTANT: Humphreys University’s tuition refund policy is separate from the federal regulation to repay unearned aid. Whether or not a student receives a tuition refund has no bearing on the amount that must be repaid to the federal aid programs. The student should contact the Fiscal Office for further information regarding the tuition refund policy. The school must return the unearned aid for which the school is responsible by repaying funds to the following sources, in order, up to the total net amount disbursed from each source.

  1. Unsubsidized FFEL/Direct Stafford Loan
  2. Subsidized FFEL/Direct Stafford Loan
  3. Perkins Loan
  4. FFEL/Direct PLUS (Graduate Student)
  5. FFEL/Direct PLUS (Parent)
  6. Federal Pell Grant Program
  7. FSEOG
  8. TEACH Grant
  9. Any other federal, state, private, or institutional aid
  10. The student

In the case of a Cal Grant recipient, no Cal Grant disbursement may exceed the actual tuition charge or the Cal Grant need for any term. The portion of aid to be refunded to the California Student Aid Commission will be determined by the tuition refund schedule in effect on the date of withdrawal. For example, if the student withdraws in the 3rd week of the quarter, the 50% tuition refund period, the Cal Grant adjustment will be 50% of the award disbursed for the term.

Financial Aid Counseling

Humphreys University has student account specialists available to answer questions and assist with financial aid applications. The U.S. Department of Education requires that any student receiving a direct loan complete loan entrance and exit counseling. Loan entrance counseling provides information to students concerning how to manage student loans, both during and after college. Current students requesting direct loan funds will be required to complete Financial Awareness Counseling.  Financial Awareness provides tools and information to help students understand their financial aid and assist in managing finances, including understand Loans, managing expenses, planning for repayment, avoiding default, and making finances a priority. Exit Counseling is generally required once a student drops below half-time enrollment status, fails to re-enroll for the following quarter, withdraws or graduates. The student must notify the HU Student Services prior to withdrawal or graduation for loan exit counseling.  Note, students allowed to participate in graduation commencement short of program completion requirements will be required to complete Exit Loan Counseling.  The purpose of loan exit counseling is to inform the student of their tentative total loans received while in attendance at HU and to provide the student with an estimated payment schedule.  Students must repay their student loans, even if they do not graduate, or are dissatisfied with their academic program.

Borrower Rights & Responsibilities

The borrower has the right to receive the following information before leaving school.

  • The amount of the student’s total debt (principal and estimated interest), what the student’s interest late is, and the total interest charges on the loan(s)
  • A loan repayment schedule that lets the student know when his/her first payment is due, the number and frequency of payments, and the amount of each payment
  • If the student has FFEL Program Loans, the name of the lender or agency that holds the student’s loan(s), where to send the student’s payments, and where to write or call if the student has questions
  • The fees the student should expect during the repayment period, such as late charges and collection or litigation costs if delinquent or in default
  • An explanation of available options for consolidating or refinancing the student’s loan
  • A statement that the student can repay his/her loan without penalty at any time

The borrower has a responsibility to do the following.

  • Understand that by signing the promissory note, the student is agreeing to repay the loan according to the terms of the note
  • Make payments on the student loan even if the student does not receive a bill or repayment notice
  • If the student applies for a deferment or forbearance, he/she must still continue to make payments until notification that the request has been granted
  • Notify the appropriate representative (institution, agency, or lender) that manages the student’s loan when the student graduates, withdraws from school, or drops below half-time status; changes his/her name, address, or Social Security Number, or transfers to another institution
  • Receive entrance counseling before being given the first loan disbursement, and to receive exit counseling before leaving school


Financial Aid - Cost of Attendance

Tuition and enrollment are a big part of the costs you will have while attending HU. The average annual costs determined to be necessary to attend HU include tuition, books, fees, room and board, transportation, etc. and are subject to change annually. The Nine-Month Student Expense Budgets are based on the California Student Aid Commission Student Expense and Resources Survey (SEARS) data and are updated for three years of inflation using the September Estimated California Consumer Price Index.

  • Tuition and fees
  • Books and supplies
  • Room and board
  • Transportation
  • Personal and miscellaneous expenses
  • Child/Dependent care if applicable – Reasonable expenses with adequate documentation must be provided by the student, depending upon age and number of children.
  • Loan fees – For student borrowers, actual or average loan origination and insurance fees apply.


2016-2017 Estimated Cost of Attendance at Humphreys University

(Based on 9 month period of enrollment.)

 With ParentsOff-Campus
Tuition & Fees$14,044$14,044
Books and Supplies$1,791$1,791
Room and Board$4,968$12,492
Personal and Miscellaneous$3,177$2,916


In a typical academic year, Federal Direct Loans are disbursed in two installments per quarter: the first installment scheduled for the fourth week of the quarter and the second installment on Monday of the seventh week of the quarter. Financial aid funds will be disbursed based on the student’s actual enrollment status at the time financial aid transmits funds to the student’s account. Financial aid refunds are generated only after a credit balance is created on a student’s account. Refunds are processed when sufficient financial aid is posted to the student account creating a credit balance. All refunds are processed by the Fiscal Office in the form a paper check. Students who receive a refund as a result of a parent plus loan will have their refund automatically processed in the form of a paper check and mailed to the parent. Undergraduate new and returning new students are subject to a 30 day disbursement delay as a condition of admittance.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal financial aid regulations require that all institutions participating in financial aid programs set a maximum time frame, or number of units, in which a student is expected to complete the requirements for his/her degree/major. Humphreys University has chosen to define this time frame in terms of the number of units required for completion of the degree or major. Students will be eligible for financial aid benefits for a maximum of 150% of the units required to complete their declared program. Maximum time frame is measured on a quarterly basis. Units for which the grade of IP is issued will be considered as completed as long as the qualitative part of the grade is “C” or above. Units transferred from another institution will be counted as units attempted and will be included in the unit count. According to federal and state laws and regulations, Humphreys University students receiving federal financial aid are required to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). The following revisions reflect changes made to financial aid eligibility; the Humphreys University academic probation policy is not altered or superseded by this policy. Your academic standing and your financial aid eligibility may differ. However, if you are dismissed for academic reasons, you are automatically ineligible for financial aid. Academic records are reviewed for all students receiving financial aid or being considered for financial aid from the following sources:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Work Study Program
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  • Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
  • Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)
  • Cal Grants A, B or C
  • Institutional Awards
  • Other Scholarships

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The following are the SAP requirements for all federal financial aid programs. You are considered to be meeting SAP and are eligible for federal financial aid at Humphreys University as long as all three of the following requirements are met at the end of each quarter:

  • You maintain a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 2.0 (undergraduate) or better, or 3.0 (graduate) or better. (Qualitative progress).
  • You satisfactorily complete (a final course grade of A, B, C, or D) enough credit hours to have a pace of completion of 2/3 or higher (see Chart A for example). Withdrawals (W), incompletes (INC), and grades of F are not considered satisfactory completions (Quantitative progress).
  • You will graduate within the maximum timeframe (150% of the required credit hours) of your declared program (see Chart B for example). All satisfactory completions, withdrawals, repeats, and failed courses at Humphreys University, and all credit hours transferred from other institutions count towards the 150% measure, regardless of whether you received financial aid in previous quarters. If you pursue multiple degrees, you are likely to reach the maximum timeframe. In certain cases, the maximum timeframe may be adjusted upon receipt of an appeal. Regardless of your maximum timeframe status, you are not eligible for additional financial aid funds beyond completion of your degree requirements.

Chart A A student is expected to complete at least 2/3 of his/her total attempted classes. The total number of attempted credit hours is multiplied by 2/3 (66.67%) to obtain the minimum hours that he/she must have completed successfully.

Total Hours AttemptedRequired PaceMinimum Hours Completed
24x 2/316
16x 2/311
12x 2/38
8x 2/36

For example, a student who attempted 24 credit hours must have successfully completed at least 16 credits to meet SAP eligibility. Chart B A student who has exceeded the maximum timeframe allowed for completion of a degree or certificate is ineligible for federal financial aid. Examples of common maximum time frames include:

ProgramTotal Credit Hours RequiredMaximum Attempted Hours Allowed for Financial Aid Eligibility
Paralegal Studies Certificate128192
AA DegreeBetween 93 and 100139.5 to 150
AS DegreeBetween 90 and 116135 to 174
Bachelor’s Degree181 Credit Hours271.5
Master’s Program52 Credit Hours78


Other Factors Regarding Satisfactory Academic Progress

Audits Classes taken for audit are not considered in SAP calculations. Remedial/Developmental Courses You may receive federal financial aid for a maximum of 45 attempted credit hours of remedial/developmental coursework. Remedial/developmental coursework beyond 45 units will not count towards financial aid enrollment status or cost of attendance but will count toward maximum timeframe. Repeated Coursework You may receive financial aid for repeating courses. If you retake a previously passed course, financial aid can be used for only ONE repeat of the course. A failed course may be repeated until passed. Courses that are repeated are used in the calculation of your SAP eligibility. Review of SAP Status SAP status is reviewed at the end of each quarter. Based on the review, you will have one of three financial aid classifications:

  1. Eligible: You met the requirements of SAP and are eligible for financial aid in the current quarter.
  2. Financial Aid Warning: You did not meet the requirements of SAP based on your qualitative and/or quantitative performance last quarter. You will be placed on Financial Aid Warning for the current quarter. During this quarter you continue to be eligible for financial aid, including loans, federal and state grants. You are encouraged to seek tutoring or other support services for assistance in achieving SAP. If at the end of the current quarter you meet SAP, the Financial Aid Warning status is removed and you are considered Eligible.
  3. Financial Aid Ineligible: You did not meet the requirements of SAP at the end of your Financial Aid Warning quarter. You are ineligible for financial aid at Humphreys University until SAP has been reestablished.

Example: In fall quarter a new student attempted 12 credit hours and successfully completed 4 credit hours with a CGPA of 2.0 (undergraduate)/ 3.0 (graduate). The student meets the required CGPA but has not completed the required 2/3 of credit hours attempted (4 divided by 12 = 0.333 or 33.33%). Therefore, the student will be on Financial Aid Warning status for the winter quarter. In the winter quarter the student is enrolled in 12 credit hours. The total number of credit hours attempted is 24 (12 from fall and 12 from winter). The minimum number of credits the student must successfully complete is calculated by taking the 24 attempted credits X 2/3 (66.67%) = 16 credits. Since the student earned 4 credits in fall, the student must successfully complete all 12 credits in winter and have a CGPA of 2.0 or better (undergraduate), or 3.0 or better (graduate) in the winter quarter in order to remain eligible for financial aid. If a student has not corrected all of the deficiencies in SAP after a quarter of Financial Aid Warning, or if the student has reached the maximum timeframe, the student becomes ineligible for financial aid. Example: The same student as described above completes only 8 credit hours in the winter quarter. Since the student needed to complete at least 12 credit hours to correct the deficiency in SAP, the student is no longer eligible for financial aid. Reinstatement of Financial Aid If you are ineligible for financial aid for not meeting SAP, you can reestablish eligibility by fulfilling one of the following conditions:

  1. Eliminate all academic deficiencies by completing the number of credit hours necessary to meet 2/3 (66.67%) pace and/or complete enough credit hours to achieve the minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA (undergraduate) or 3.0 cumulative GPA (graduate), at your own expense.
  2. Successfully appeal your ineligible status by demonstrating unforeseen, documentable extenuating circumstances.

A student with unforeseen, documentable extenuating circumstances who has been denied financial aid due to SAP status may appeal in writing completing the SAP Appeal Form, available in Student Services at the respective campus location. The student must submit information and documentation explaining why the SAP standards were not met and what has changed that will allow him/her to meet SAP in the future. The appeal form and all required supporting documentation must be submitted to the Director of Financial Aid by Friday of the first week of the quarter. Appeals will be reviewed by the Academic Policies Committee. Only those appeals that include the aforementioned documentation will be considered. Examples of circumstances for an appeal that will be considered include unexpected injury or illness of the student, death of a close family member, or other unforeseen extenuating circumstances. The Director of Financial Aid will respond in writing to an appeal within one week of a decision by the Committee. If a student’s appeal is approved, he/she will be placed on Financial Aid Probation and will be provided an SAP academic plan. While on Financial Aid Probation, the student is eligible to receive financial aid for ONE quarter. In order to be eligible for aid for subsequent quarters, the student must meet the terms of the SAP academic plan. For all students on Financial Aid Probation this includes:

  • Satisfactorily complete all courses attempted during the quarter;
  • Maintain a minimum quarter GPA of 2.0 (undergraduate), or 3.0. (graduate).

Students who are on Financial Aid Probation due to maximum time frame must also:

  • Complete their degree within the date listed on their appeal;
  • Follow the academic plan that was submitted with their appeal.

Additional requirements may be listed on the appeal approval notice. Failure to meet the requirements specified by the SAP academic plan will result in losing financial aid eligibility for all future quarters until all satisfactory academic progress components are met. To re-establish financial aid eligibility, all academic deficiencies must be eliminated by completing the required number of credit hours necessary to meet 2/3 (66.67%) pace and/or complete enough credit hours to achieve the minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA (undergraduate) or 3.0 cumulative GPA (graduate), at the student’s expense. Per federal regulation, if a student fails an academic plan he or she may not be granted an additional plan. In cases where a new, unexpected, extenuating and documented circumstance exists, a new SAP appeal may be considered. The extenuating circumstance in the new appeal cannot be the same as the circumstance outlined in the previous appeal. The new circumstance must also have occurred within the quarter for which the academic plan was failed. Even in this latter case, an additional approval to receive financial aid is not guaranteed. All information is subject to change based on changes to federal law, regulation, or HU policy and procedure. If changes are made, students must abide by the new policy. Note: Due to changes in federal regulations, the described Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy became effective the 2011-2012 award year.

Book Vouchers: Policies & Procedures

Humphreys University has developed a book voucher program to assist students who are eligible for financial aid with the purchase of books and supplies. Book vouchers allow students to charge their student account for the costs of required books and basic supplies (notebooks, pencils, pens etc.) for registered courses. Students with expected excess financial aid, usually from a combination of grants and or loans funds, may be eligible for a book voucher. These funds are not additional financial aid granted to students solely for the purpose of purchasing books. The credit may only be used at Humphreys University bookstores (Stockton and Modesto campuses). Book vouchers must be used on the date of authorization. Not all students are eligible for a book voucher. An authorized amount will be determined based on the student’s financial aid eligibility, units enrolled, and tuition charge at the time the student submits a book voucher request. The requested amount and authorized amount may differ. The authorized amount is the amount the student is able to use to purchase required books, basic supplies, and tools for registered courses. If the student chooses to utilize a book voucher to obtain books and supplies, the Department of Education has indicted that the institution does not need to obtain written authorization to credit the student’s account with Title IV funds for books and supplies. The student may opt out of the above process implemented by Humphreys University by not requesting a book voucher. A book voucher is funded through a student’s financial aid package. The student’s account will only be charged for the costs of the books charged, which will reduce the amount of any financial aid refund that the student may receive for the quarter. Book Voucher Procedure To be eligible for a book voucher, a student must meet the following requirements:

  1. Have excess financial aid awarded and accepted after tuition costs are subtracted from his/her financial aid package sufficient to cover the book voucher request.
  2. Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  3. Be registered for classes at least half time (6-8 units, undergraduate and law students; 4 units, master’s students) for the upcoming term.
  4. Have no overdue balance on his/her account or have been approved for an exception to register with an outstanding balance.
  5. Funds must not be set for disbursement within 2 business days of the book voucher request.

How to Request a Book Voucher: BE ADVISED the amount spent on books will reduce your scheduled financial aid refund. It is not free or additional funds. Book voucher requests require a 48-hour processing period.

  1. Submit a Book Voucher Request Form to the Financial Aid Department for the amount needed to purchase all required books and supplies. Book Vouchers Request Forms are available in the Financial Aid Department, Fiscal Office, and Humphreys University Book Store.
  2. The Financial Aid Office will review the student’s account and approve or deny the request.
  3. An e-mail notification will be sent to the student’s Humphreys University e-mail account indicating the date on which the book voucher will be available for pick up.

Using the Book Voucher: A student must present photo identification at the bookstore in order to purchase books and supplies using a book voucher. Books will not be sold without an authorized book voucher, photo identification, and copy of class schedule. By using a book voucher, the student is authorizing Humphreys University to deduct all bookstore charges from any amount of financial aid refund due to him/her. Financial Aid awards will be reduced as a result of these charges. The student is responsible to pay all bookstore charges not covered by financial aid credit at the time of purchase. This credit is for educational expenses associated only with classes in which the student is currently enrolled. Only the books required according to the student’s class schedule will be sold. Students are not permitted to purchase books for other students. Misuse of financial aid credit is in violation of federal regulations.

  1. Authorized book vouchers will be available to eligible students beginning finals’ week of every quarter. No exceptions are made to this policy.
  2. If a student’s financial aid eligibility changes or his/her awards require re-calculation due to a change in units, the student is responsible for the balance created on his/her student account from this book voucher.
  3. If a student does not receive his/her financial aid or withdraws prior to receiving his/her financial aid, all outstanding charges including the books charged will be his/her responsibility.

New Term, New Request Book vouchers are granted on a term-by-term basis. The student must request a separate book voucher for each term. It is best to request a voucher before the term starts. The student may have only one book voucher approved at a time and must allow at least 72 hours before requesting another one. The student must use the book voucher on the date issued. The time frame of the book voucher period is the following: begins finals week of the prior quarter and ends Friday of the second week of the quarter.

Federal & State Financial Aid Resources

FAFSA on the Web

This was created by the U.S. Department of Education, and it allows you to enter your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Completing your FAFSA on the Web can save you approximately two weeks of processing time when compared to using the paper FAFSA.


An FSA ID is a username and password that you must use to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education (ED) websites. Your FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your own personal information on ED websites such as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) site at Your FSA ID is also used to sign legally binding documents electronically. It has the same legal status as a written signature.

It’s important to understand that the student and the parent may not share an FSA ID: Your FSA ID is your signature, so it has to be unique to you. If you are a parent of a dependent student, you will need your own FSA ID if you want to sign your child’s FAFSA form electronically. If you have more than one child attending college, you can use the same FSA ID to sign all applications, but each child must have his or her own.

Please note: Each FSA ID user must have a unique mobile phone number and/or email address. Sharing your FSA ID is like teaching someone to forge your signature; and it could put you at risk of identity theft!

National Student Loan Data System

The U.S. Department of Education’s National Student Loan Data System allows a student to view information about federal financial aid they have received at all colleges they have attended. In order to access your information, you will need to register for a PIN (see information above regarding Pin Registration)

Federal Student Aid Guide

This is the federal government’s best source of information on federal financial aid!

The Selective Service

This site allows you to register on-line. Registration is mandatory for almost all males between the ages of 18 and 25, and any males who are required to register must do so before receiving any form of federal or state financial aid.

California Student Aid Commission (CSAC)

The CSAC administers the State of California’s financial aid programs including Cal Grants and the Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver.


This tax deferred college savings plan is designed to help California families save in order to meet the increasing costs of college. Contributions are federally tax-deferred and state tax-exempt. Scholarshare also has responsibility for coordinating the Governor’s Scholarship program for eligible California students.


Fastweb is the premier online resource for paying and preparing for college.


The SmartStudent™ Guide to Financial Aid was created by Mark Kantrowitz. This site contains a wide variety of general information about financial aid. Also, the site contains many links to free scholarship searches, universities, and other organizations related to higher education.

Disclaimer: Some websites to which Student Services provides links are for the convenience of users and are not managed or maintained by Humphreys University. The University and Student Services do not review, control, or take responsibility for the contents of those sites.

While the information on this and other pages of this website are thought to be accurate at the time of posting, financial aid requirements, terms and other specifics change regularly and sometimes without notice. In addition, no website can comprehensively provide all information related to any particular financial aid topic. We encourage you to learn more about all financial aid options available to you by exploring this website in conjunction with other resources and by speaking with a Student Account Specialist.