Future Students

Information for future students regarding financial aid.

Financial Aid Forms

Financial Aid for Future Students

The purpose of financial aid at Humphreys University (HU) is to assist students who, because of financial constraints, might not otherwise have the resources to pursue a college education in their chosen fields. A student’s financial need is determined by the difference between the total cost of attending Humphreys University and the contribution the student and/or his or her family is expected to make toward this cost. The total cost of attending Humphreys University includes tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, personal expenses, and transportation.

In order to determine if a student qualifies for financial aid, his or her income and asset information must be processed according to a Department of Education needs analysis calculation. Financial aid is available to U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens.

Humphreys University helps to provide financial aid assistance for students who are recent graduates of high school, transfers from another post-secondary institution, and re-entry students.

Humphreys University maintains a varied financial assistance program in order to meet the needs of all students. HU’s institutional eligibility to administer Title IV funds (financial aid) extends to all of the programs listed in the Catalog that lead to a degree or certificate. This includes the Drivon School of Law.

Types of Aid: Federal & State

Federal and state assistance for all students who have not yet earned a bachelor degree includes:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal Work-Study*
  • Federal Direct Student Loan Program
    • Direct Subsidized Loan *
    • Direct Unsubsidized Loan *
    • Direct Parent Plus Loan
    • Direct Graduate Plus Loan *
  • Cal Grants, A,B and C
  • Institutional Awards
  • Other Scholarships

*Programs that apply to students who have already earned a bachelor’s degree.

Federal Pell Grants, unlike loans, do not have to be repaid. Eligible undergraduate students who have NOT earned a bachelor’s or professional degree are awarded a specified amount each year. (In some cases, a student enrolled in a post baccalaureate teacher certification program may be eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant.) The U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula to evaluate the information collected on the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) when applying for a Pell Grant. This formula produces a number called the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which determines if the student is Pell Grant eligible.

The award will depend on the student’s financial need, the cost of attendance, and enrollment status. Amounts can change yearly. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $5,920 for the 2017-18 award year (July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018). Pell Grants are considered a foundation of federal financial aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added. The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2012 reduced a student’s Pell Grant Award lifetime eligibility from 27 to 18 quarters, or its equivalent. Effective July 1, 2012, a student may receive Pell Grant no more than 18 quarters or 600%.

Note: Fiscal Year 2011 appropriations eliminated the allowance of receiving up to two consecutive Pell Grant awards during a single award year. Beginning with the 2011-12 award year, students may receive only one Pell Grant award during a single award year.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) program is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest expected family contributions (EFCs) will be considered first for a FSEOG. Just like Pell Grants, the FSEOG does not have to be repaid.
Humphreys University awards FSEOG awards on an academic year basis to students with the lowest EFCs and highest financial need.

For a Federal Pell Grant or state Cal Grant, the student must be enrolled in at least 12 units each quarter to receive the full amount. Part-time awards are prorated for less than full-time enrollment according to the following schedule:

  • Full-Time = At least 12 units (100% of quarter award)
  • Three Quarter Time = 9 to 11.5 units (75% of quarter award)
  • Half-Time = 6 to 8.5 units (50% of quarter award)

Note: Less than 1/2 time = 1 to 5.5 units. Pell Grants may be awarded for less than half-time enrollment, but Cal Grants will be canceled for less than half-time enrollment.

California Grants (Competitive and Entitlement)*. There are several types of Cal Grant awards administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). Students must apply by the March 2nd Cal Grant deadline and must meet the following general eligibility requirements:

  • be a California resident
  • be a U.S citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • meet selective service requirements
  • attend an eligible California college or university
  • be enrolled at least half-time
  • maintain satisfactory progress as defined by the school
  • not be in default on any federal or state educational loan, or owe a grant refund
  • not have completed a prior baccalaureate degree

* To participate in the Cal Grant Program, an institution must meet certain requirements
according to California law. Therefore, an institution’s Cal Grant eligibility is subject to
change on an annual basis.

The CSAC will determine which Cal Grant the student is qualified to receive. The Cal Grant
programs include the following:

  • Cal Grant A Entitlement Award
  • Cal Grant B Entitlement Award
  • Cal Grant A Competitive Award
  • Cal Grant B Competitive Award
  • Cal Grant C

What’s the difference between “Entitlement” and “Competitive”?

Cal Grants were created by the California Legislature to provide financial aid to low- and middle-income families. Cal Grant Entitlement Awards are guaranteed for every high school graduate who has at least a 2.0 GPA, meets the Cal Grant requirements (including financial need) and applies by March 2 of his or her senior year or the year following graduation. Students who are not high school seniors or recent graduates can compete for Cal Grant Competitive Awards. These awards are not guaranteed and only a limited number are available each year.

Cal Grant A Entitlement Awards are guaranteed to students who meet general Cal Grant eligibility requirements, have at least a 3.0 grade point average, and apply by March 2nd of the year they graduate from high school or the following year. The Cal Grant A Entitlement award provides for tuition expenses. At Humphreys University, a Cal Grant A Entitlement award will award up to $9,084 towards tuition. Students must be working towards a two-year or four-year degree.

Cal Grant B Entitlement Awards provide low-income students with a living allowance and assistance with tuition and fees. Students who meet general eligibility Grant eligibility requirements, have at least a 2.0 GPA and apply by March 2nd of the year they graduate from high school or the following year are GUARANTEED a Cal Grant B Entitlement award. Most first-year students only receive an allowance of up to $1,670 for books and living expenses; in subsequent years, the student receives the access award and tuition and fees award in the same amount as a Cal Grant A. Students awarded a Cal Grant B
Entitlement award must declare a program of at least one academic year.

Cal Grant A Competitive Awards are for students not eligible for a Cal Grant A Entitlement award. Cal Grant A eligibility is based on financial need, income and asset ceilings, and at least a 3.0 GPA. Cal Grant A awards up to $9,084 to help pay tuition costs for students pursuing a program of at least two years in length.

Cal Grant B Competitive Awards are for students with a minimum 2.0 GPA who are from disadvantaged and low-income families. This award can be used for tuition, and access costs at qualifying California schools whose programs are at least one year in length. Students in the first year only receive an access award of $1,670 (unless awarded at grade level 2 or higher); in subsequent years, students receive the access award and tuition and fees award in the same amount as the Cal Grant A. The access costs include living expenses, transportation, supplies and books.

Cal Grant C Awards help pay for tuition and training costs for vocationally oriented students rather than the academically oriented students. There is a $547 award for books, tools and equipment and a $2,462 award for tuition costs. To qualify, students must enroll in a vocational program that is at least four months in length. Funding is available for up to 6 full-time quarters.

The Cal Grant B access and Cal C books and supply award will be automatically applied to the student’s tuition account. The student may at any time rescind this process prior to disbursement of funds and receive the Cal Grant B Access or Cal Grant C books and supply award directly. The student must notify the Financial Aid Department in writing at least 10 business days prior to transmitting the funds to the student’s account.

Federal Work Study (FWS) program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. Often FWS employment provides the student with the opportunity of working in a field related to their major. To qualify for FWS, the student must complete the FAFSA, demonstrate financial need and be enrolled at least a half-time The FWS award represents the maximum amount of wages the student is permitted to earn during the academic year. Students employed under the FWS program are typically paid at the prevailing minimum wage and receive a semi-monthly pay check for wages earned. The student’s earnings are to be used for educationally related expenses. Students interested in FWS are encouraged to complete a Federal Work Study Application found
in the Financial Aid Department.

On-Campus and Off-Campus Federal Work-Study Jobs are available to students who qualify for the FWS program. Please contact the department if interested. Limited positions are available, completion of a Federal Work Study Application establishes a student’s desire to be awarded FWS. Department Chairs/Supervisors review applications submitted for FWS to fill vacant positions.

The William D. Ford, Federal Direct Loan Student Loan Program (FDSLP) provides low interest rate loans to postsecondary students and their parents. It is managed by the U.S. Department of Education and is the only government backed loan program in the United States. Students who wish to apply for funding from the Federal Direct Loan program must first submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Several types of loans are available under the FDSLP, including Direct Subsidized Loans, Direct Unsubsidized Loans and Direct PLUS Loans. The Federal Direct Subsidized and Federal Direct Unsubsidized loans have maximum amounts set each year, with each successive year allowing for an increase in the total maximum yearly amount, with set aggregate loan amounts. Direct PLUS loans are federal loans for graduate or professional degree students and parents of dependent undergraduate students to help pay educationally related expenses. Direct student loans have loan fees that are a percentage of the total loan amount. The loan fee is deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement. This means the loans disbursed will be less than the amount actually borrowed. The student is responsible for repaying the entire amount borrowed and not just the amount disbursed. For details regarding the Direct Loan Program origination and interest rates, go to www.studentaid.ed.gov. Repayment begins six months after graduation, when dropping to less than half-time enrollment status, or when completely withdrawing from an academic program. A grace period begins the day after the student stops attending school on at least a half-time basis. Once the grace period ends, repayment begins on the Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loans. The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2012 eliminated the interest subsidy during the grace period on loans first disbursed July 1, 2012, through June 30, 2014. Students are responsible for the interest that accrues on subsidized loans during this timeframe. This provision does NOT eliminate the interest subsidy on Direct Subsidized loans while the borrower is in school or during eligible periods of deferment. Interest accruing on the Direct Unsubsidized loan is the borrower’s responsibility. Borrowers can choose to pay the interest or allow the interest to accrue and capitalize after their six-month grace period.

First-time Direct Stafford Subsidized Loan borrowers (on or after July 1, 2013) will have a time limitation for subsidized loan eligibility. In general, the maximum period of time (measured in academic years) that these students can receive a Direct Subsidized Loan is 150% of the published length of their program. Once a student reaches the Subsidized Loan time limitation, he or she may be eligible for Unsubsidized Stafford Loans only. (Click here for detailed information on calculating Subsidized Loan time limitations.)

Direct Parent PLUS loans are available to parents who do not have adverse credit history. Direct PLUS loans are not based on financial need and may be used to help pay for education expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance of dependent undergraduate students. Interest is charged during all periods. The current Direct PLUS Loan interest rates can be found at www.studentaid.ed.gov. The Direct PLUS Loan enters repayment once the loan is fully disbursed. Direct PLUS loan borrowers may contact the loan servicer to request a deferment while their dependent student is enrolled at least half-time and for an additional six months after ceasing at least half-time enrollment. If the Direct PLUS loan is deferred, interest will accrue on the loan during the deferment. The parent may choose to pay the accrued interest or allow the interest to capitalize when the deferment period ends. The loan servicer will notify the parent when the first payment is due.

Graduate Students

The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program is the largest source of federal student aid for graduate students. Under this program, the Department of Education is the lender rather than a bank or other financial institution. There are two types of Direct Loans that graduate and professional degree students may receive: the Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Direct PLUS Loan. Eligible graduate students enrolled at least half-time may borrow from the Direct Loan program. Graduate and professional degree students are not eligible to receive Direct Subsidized Loans for loan periods beginning on or after July 1, 2012. The Direct Unsubsidized Loan is a non-need based loan with a maximum of $20,500.00 per academic year. Interest accrues on the Direct Unsubsidized loan beginning at disbursement until it is paid in full. The interest is the borrower’s responsibility. Borrowers can choose to pay the interest while in school or allow the interest to accrue and capitalize after their six-month grace period expires. Direct PLUS Loans are also available to eligible graduate and professional degree students who need to borrow more than maximum Direct Unsubsidized loan amounts to meet their education costs.

The terms and conditions include that applicants must not have adverse credit history as determined by the U.S. Department of Education, agree to the applicable interest rate, and origination fee. If the borrower has an adverse credit history, he or she may still receive a Direct PLUS Loan by obtaining an endorser who does not have an adverse credit history or by documenting to the U.S. Department of Education’s satisfaction extenuating circumstances relating to the adverse credit history. Repayment begins once the loan is fully disbursed. However, graduate or professional degree students will be placed into deferment while enrolled at least half-time, and for an additional six months after ceasing enrollment on at least a half-time
basis. While in deferment status, interest will accrue on the loan during deferment periods. Students may choose to pay the accrued interest or allow the interest to capitalize when the deferment period ends. The Department of Education will notify the borrower upon reaching repayment. Unlike private loans, Direct PLUS loans are easier to qualify for, federally regulated and able to be consolidated with Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans upon graduation. Capitalization increases the total loan amount that must repaid. Further information is available at https://studentloans.gov.

Preparing to Apply

Financial aid applicants are encouraged to file federal income tax returns for applicant, parent and/or spouse as applicable, prior to completing their FAFSA. This will allow students and prospective students to use the IRS Data Retrieval Process when completing the FAFSA. This tool will save you time and increase the accuracy of your FAFSA information. The IRS Data Retrieval tool is also the fastest and most secure solution for meeting verification requirements if applicable.

Programs Not Eligible for Federal Student Aid at HU:

Students must be enrolled in an eligible program at HU to receive Federal Student Aid (FSA). Programs listed below are not eligible for FSA.

  • English Language Program
  • Non-degree seeking students

Applying for Financial Aid

For most types of Financial Aid, the first place to start is by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  You do not need to wait until you have applied for admission and/or been admitted to file the FAFSA.  Students who complete the FAFSA will be considered for the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Cal Grants, (state grant), Federal Direct Stafford Loan, as well as the Federal Work Study Program.  The FAFSA application can be filed with the Department of Education beginning on the October 1st preceding the academic year requesting financial aid for.  The 2017/18 FAFSA will be available October 2016 for the 2017/18 award year. The Federal School Code to report on the FAFSA for Humphreys University is 001212.

The following methods are available:

  • Apply online at https://fafsa.ed.gov (Recommended) or
  • Complete a PDF FAFSA (Note: PDF FAFSAs must be mailed for processing) or
  • Request a paper FAFSA by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243

Detailed information about application procedures, deadlines, and eligibility may be obtained from the Financial Aid Office.

1. If you are a US Citizen or Permanent Resident, complete the FAFSA.

How to Submit the FAFSA

Go to https://fafsa.ed.gov to fill out the FAFSA and apply for financial aid.

When to Apply

The Priority Filing Period is October 1 to March 2

You should apply for financial aid as soon as possible each year that you plan to attend college. If you apply after the priority deadline (March 2), you will be considered for any remaining funds as of the date your application is received.

Tips for Filling Out Your FAFSA

Humphreys University School Code – 001212

Enter the code 001212 under the “School Selection” tab of the FAFSA to make sure your application is sent to HU.
Before starting your FAFSA, get your and/or your parents’ personal information and tax information

The FAFSA will ask you to enter both personal information and information on income and assets, so make sure you have this information ready. If you and/or your parents haven’t filed their taxes yet, still complete your FAFSA and use last year’s information to estimate. Once your filing is done, you can go back and update your information on your FAFSA.
FAFSA Assistance

FAFSA assistance from the Financial Aid office is available Monday and Thursday from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm and Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

2. If you are NOT a US citizen or a permanent resident, complete the Dream Act Application.

How to Complete the Dream Act

If you are not a US Citizen or permanent resident but meet AB 540 Criteria, you can still apply for and receive non-state funded scholarships to help pay for college.

Submit Your Application

Go to https://dream.csac.ca.gov/ to complete the Dream Application and apply for financial aid.

When to Apply

Priority Filing Period: January 1 to March 2
You should apply for financial aid as soon as possible each year that you plan to attend college. If you apply after the priority deadline (March 2), you will be considered for any remaining funds as of the date your application is received.
Humphreys University School Code – 001212
Enter the code 001212 under the “School Selection” tab of the FAFSA to make sure your application is sent to HU.

3. Apply for Scholarships

Looking for scholarships in addition to applying for financial aid? Visit Federal Student Aid for information regarding scholarships here.

General Eligibility Requirements

Per the U.S. Department of Education, to be eligible for Federal Aid Programs students must demonstrate financial need (for most programs):

  • Have financial need. Level of need is determined by the financial need formula:
    Student’s Cost of Attendance – Estimated Family Contribution = Financial Need;
  • be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen;
  • have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau);
  • be registered with Selective Service, if male (registration required between the ages of 18 and 25);
  • be enrolled or accepted for enrolment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program;
  • be enrolled at least half-time (undergraduate & law- 6 credits, graduate- 4 credits) to be eligible for Direct Loan Program funds;
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress as stated in College Policy under both Institutional and Financial Aid SAP;
  • sign statements on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) stating that you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant and you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes; and
  • have a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate.

Financial Aid - Cost of Attendance

Tuition and enrollment are a big part of the costs you will have while attending HU. The average annual costs determined to be necessary to attend HU include tuition, books, fees, room and board, transportation, etc. and are subject to change annually. The Nine-Month Student Expense Budgets are based on the California Student Aid Commission Student Expense and Resources Survey (SEARS) data and are updated for three years of inflation using the September Estimated California Consumer Price Index.

  • Tuition and fees
  • Books and supplies
  • Room and board
  • Transportation
  • Personal and miscellaneous expenses
  • Child/Dependent care if applicable – Reasonable expenses with adequate documentation must be provided by the student, depending upon age and number of children.
  • Loan fees – For student borrowers, actual or average loan origination and insurance fees apply.

2021-2022 Estimated Cost of Attendance at Humphreys University (Based on 9 month period of enrollment.)

  With Parents Off-Campus
Tuition & Fees $14,580 $14,580
Books and Supplies $1,125 $1,125
Room and Board $9,081 $17,253
Personal and Miscellaneous $3,276 $3,843
Transportation $999 $918
Total $29,061 $37,719

Financial Aid Counseling

Humphreys University has student account specialists available to answer questions and assist with financial aid applications.

The U.S. Department of Education requires that any student receiving a direct loan complete loan entrance and exit counseling. Loan entrance counseling provides information to students concerning how to manage student loans, both during and after college. Current students requesting direct loan funds will be required to complete Financial Awareness Counseling.  Financial Awareness provides tools and information to help students understand their financial aid and assist in managing finances, including understand Loans, managing expenses, planning for repayment, avoiding default, and making finances a priority.

Exit Counseling is generally required once a student drops below half-time enrollment status, fails to re-enroll for the following quarter, withdraws or graduates. The student must notify the HU Office of Financial Aid prior to withdrawal or graduation for loan exit counseling.  Note, students allowed to participate in graduation commencement short of program completion requirements will be required to complete Exit Loan Counseling.  The purpose of loan exit counseling is to inform the student of their tentative total loans received while in attendance at HU and to provide the student with an estimated payment schedule.  Students must repay their student loans, even if they do not graduate, or are dissatisfied with their academic program.

Borrower Rights & Responsibilities

The borrower has the right to receive the following information before leaving school.

  • The amount of the student’s total debt (principal and estimated interest), what the student’s interest late is, and the total interest charges on the loan(s)
  • A loan repayment schedule that lets the student know when his/her first payment is due, the number and frequency of payments, and the amount of each payment
  • If the student has FFEL Program Loans, the name of the lender or agency that holds the student’s loan(s), where to send the student’s payments, and where to write or call if the student has questions
  • The fees the student should expect during the repayment period, such as late charges and collection or litigation costs if delinquent or in default
  • An explanation of available options for consolidating or refinancing the student’s loan
  • A statement that the student can repay his/her loan without penalty at any time

The borrower has a responsibility to do the following.

  • Understand that by signing the promissory note, the student is agreeing to repay the loan according to the terms of the note
  • Make payments on the student loan even if the student does not receive a bill or repayment notice
  • If the student applies for a deferment or forbearance, he/she must still continue to make payments until notification that the request has been granted
  • Notify the appropriate representative (institution, agency, or lender) that manages the student’s loan when the student graduates, withdraws from school, or drops below half-time status; changes his/her name, address, or Social Security Number, or transfers to another institution
  • Receive entrance counseling before being given the first loan disbursement, and to receive exit counseling before leaving school

Awarding Financial Aid: New & Transfer Students

All new students who have a complete, current FAFSA on file and are in process of being accepted to HU will be reviewed by the Office of Financial Aid to determine financial aid eligibility. An estimated award offer, summarizing the available aid, along with all application and eligibility requirements will be mailed to the permanent address on record.

Undergraduate new students including transfer students are subject to a thirty day disbursement delay. Humphreys University has chosen to disburse funds in two installments per quarter. For further information regarding disbursements, see ‘Disbursements’.

Federal & State Financial Aid Resources

FAFSA on the Web

This was created by the U.S. Department of Education, and it allows you to enter your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Completing your FAFSA on the Web can save you approximately two weeks of processing time when compared to using the paper FAFSA.


An FSA ID is a username and password that you must use to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education (ED) websites. Your FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your own personal information on ED websites such as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) site at https://fafsa.ed.gov. Your FSA ID is also used to sign legally binding documents electronically. It has the same legal status as a written signature.

It’s important to understand that the student and the parent may not share an FSA ID: Your FSA ID is your signature, so it has to be unique to you. If you are a parent of a dependent student, you will need your own FSA ID if you want to sign your child’s FAFSA form electronically. If you have more than one child attending college, you can use the same FSA ID to sign all applications, but each child must have his or her own.

Please note: Each FSA ID user must have a unique mobile phone number and/or email address. Sharing your FSA ID is like teaching someone to forge your signature; and it could put you at risk of identity theft!

National Student Loan Data System

The U.S. Department of Education’s National Student Loan Data System allows a student to view information about federal financial aid they have received at all colleges they have attended. In order to access your information, you will need to register for a PIN (see information above regarding Pin Registration)

Federal Student Aid Guide

This is the federal government’s best source of information on federal financial aid!

The Selective Service

This site allows you to register on-line. Registration is mandatory for almost all males between the ages of 18 and 25, and any males who are required to register must do so before receiving any form of federal or state financial aid.

California Student Aid Commission (CSAC)

The CSAC administers the State of California’s financial aid programs including Cal Grants and the Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver.


This tax deferred college savings plan is designed to help California families save in order to meet the increasing costs of college. Contributions are federally tax-deferred and state tax-exempt. Scholarshare also has responsibility for coordinating the Governor’s Scholarship program for eligible California students.


Fastweb is the premier online resource for paying and preparing for college.


The SmartStudent™ Guide to Financial Aid was created by Mark Kantrowitz. This site contains a wide variety of general information about financial aid. Also, the site contains many links to free scholarship searches, universities, and other organizations related to higher education.

Disclaimer: Some websites to which Student Services provides links are for the convenience of users and are not managed or maintained by Humphreys University. The University and Student Services do not review, control, or take responsibility for the contents of those sites.

While the information on this and other pages of this website are thought to be accurate at the time of posting, financial aid requirements, terms and other specifics change regularly and sometimes without notice. In addition, no website can comprehensively provide all information related to any particular financial aid topic. We encourage you to learn more about all financial aid options available to you by exploring this website in conjunction with other resources and by speaking with a Student Account Specialist.