Frequently Asked Questions

Humphreys University Student Services is proud to provide students with the highest level of professional service and counseling.


Our staff is available to help answer almost any financial-related question you may have. The mission of the Humphreys University Student Services is to provide all information, services, and assemble financial aid resources that are available to, or needed by, students. To better provide you the resources you need, we have complied a list of Frequently Asked Questions.


While the information on this and other pages of this website are thought to be accurate at the time of posting, financial aid requirements, terms and other specifics change regularly and sometimes without notice. In addition, no website can comprehensively provide all information related to any particular financial aid topic. We encourage you to learn more about all financial aid options available to you by exploring this website in conjunction with other resources and by speaking with a Financial Aid representative.

What is financial aid?

Financial aid is money available (grants, loans, scholarships, work-study) to assist students with the costs of attending college.

Financial aid comes from the federal government, state government, the University, and private sources. Grants, work study, and scholarships are assistance you don’t have to pay back. Loans are borrowed money that you must repay with interest.

Financial aid availabilities vary according to program. Graduate students and law school students do not qualify for Grants.

Who can receive financial aid?

Per the U.S. Department of Education, to be eligible for Federal Aid Programs students must:

  • demonstrate financial need (for most programs);
  • be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen;
  • have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau);
  • be registered with Selective Service, if male (registration required between the ages of 18 and 25);
  • be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program;
  • be enrolled at least half-time (undergraduate & law- 6 credits, graduate- 4 credits) to be eligible for Direct Loan Program funds;
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress as stated in College Policy under both Institutional and Financial Aid SAP;
  • sign statements on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) stating that you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant and you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes; and
  • have a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate.
How do I apply for financial aid?
  • Complete the current FAFSA or the renewal FAFSA, preferably via FAFSA-on-the Web (, or apply by phone by calling (800) 4-FEDAID.
Do I keep copies of what I submit?

Yes! Keep copies of all forms completed and any materials used to prepare the forms, such as tax returns. It is a safety measure, should they be requested at a later time.

When do I apply for financial aid?

As of October 1 preceding the school year you plan to attend.

If your application has been selected for a process called Verification by the U.S. Department of Education or by the University, the financial aid office will notify you and request the additional documentation that is needed to complete your processing. You do not need to submit your SAR to our office if you have listed Humphreys University on your FAFSA.

How will I know what types of aid I will be receiving?

You will receive an Award Notification Letter from Humphreys University Financial Aid Office. This will detail all aid for which you are eligible (grants, loans, scholarships, work study) for the award year (three terms).

You may not receive aid in excess of your Cost of Attendance.

How do I accept my award?

You will accept or decline your aid on your Award Notification Letter and then sign and return it to Student Services.

You can send it back by:

  • Drop the form off to one of our financial aid offices;
  • Mail it to:
    Humphreys University
    Attention: Student Services
    6650 Inglewood Avenue
    Stockton, CA 95207


    Humphreys University
    Attn: Student Services
    3600 Sisk Road, 5A
    Modesto, CA 95356

How can I be sure to be considered for maximum types and amounts of financial aid?

Apply early – Apply two to three months before you actually need your money.

Return all requested verification and follow-up documentation within two weeks of request, fully completed and signed.

Keep grades up – Meet minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress standards.

Since financial aid may not cover my entire living and educational costs, what else can I do?

Seek employment. Use savings. Consider living with relatives or friends to save on rent and utility costs.

Apply for scholarships. Ask clubs and organizations to which you belong if they have any scholarship funds.

What kind of aid can I expect to see on my Award Notification Letter?

The kind of financial aid you receive is based upon your level of need.

What steps do you follow to determine my eligibility?

The formula to determine eligibility is:

Cost of Attendance (COA)
(-) Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
(-) Other Resources


Equals Financial Aid Eligibility/Unmet Need

What is the Cost of Attendance?

Average annual costs (tuition, books, fees, room and board, transportation, etc.) determined to be necessary to attend Humphreys University. (These costs are subject to change.)

How is my Expected Family Contribution (EFC) determined?

Your (and your spouse’s if married, parent’s if dependent) income, assets, number in household, number in college, and your state of legal residence are used in determining the expected family contribution from the FAFSA.

The formula applied to your information is determined by the federal government.

Where can I find general information on the federal and state financial aid programs on the web?

The U.S. Department of Education’s web site for federal financial aid programs is:

The State of California’s web site for state financial aid is CSAC:

Private resources, such as scholarships:

Why can't you tell my spouse, parents, or outside agencies what kind of aid I have been awarded?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (also known as the Buckley Amendment) limits access to educational records without expressed written consent.

If you wish to have someone else speak to us on your behalf, you will need to submit a signed authorization form.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid each year?

Yes. However, once you have filed a FAFSA, you may be able to file a Renewal FAFSA the next year. It will not be nearly as complicated the next time around.

What is an online Entrance or Exit Loan Counseling Interview?

An Entrance or Exit interview or loan counseling session is required before your federal loans are initially disbursed and after you cease being enrolled as a half-time student. This confirms that you understand your rights and responsibilities.

This can be completed at